List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: problems with hdparm in svn 15237
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-05-30 19:58:02

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 10:54 am, Ken McGuire wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
>  I've been following the recent threads where people were having problems
> with hdparm not building. I too have had similar problems.  Not being a
> programmer, I just waited a while till it seemed like things had settled
> out and I tried again. I am having 2 basic problems building the latest svn
> (15237), my native x86 build produces compilation errors, and my native ppc
> build has execution errors.
>
> 1) on x86 I am building busybox with gcc 3.3.2 and I get the following
> error from "make clean defconfig busybox" :

>   CC miscutils/hdparm.o
> /mnt/hda3/usr/local3/busybox-20060530/miscutils/hdparm.c: In function
> `do_blkgetsize':
> /mnt/hda3/usr/local3/busybox-20060530/miscutils/hdparm.c:1376: error:
> `BLKGETSIZE64' undeclared (first use in this function)
> /mnt/hda3/usr/local3/busybox-20060530/miscutils/hdparm.c:1376: error: (Each
> undeclared identifier is reported only once
> /mnt/hda3/usr/local3/busybox-20060530/miscutils/hdparm.c:1376: error: for
> each function it appears in.) make[1]: ***
> [/mnt/hda3/usr/local3/busybox-20060530/miscutils/hdparm.o] Error 1 make:
> *** [busybox] Error 2
>
> Grepping for BLKGETSIZE64 in the busybox source, it seems to be defined in
> several places, but not in hdparm.c. Grepping more generally it is defined
> in linux kernel headers in linux/fs.h in both 2.4 & 2.6.

It seems like you've enabled large file support in busybox, but your libc
doesn't have it.  (I'm guessing you're using uClibc and you've disabled large
file support?)

Possibly what we should do now that we've got platform.h is just detect
whether or not it's there and enable the CONFIG option behind the scenes.
(Then if you disable long file support in uClibc, busybox builds without it
but otherwise uses it...)

> 2) on ppc (ubuntu 5.10) with gcc 4.0.2
>
> "make clean defconfig busybox"
>
> builds without errors and the applets run, but hdparm produces incorrect
> results.

Joy.

>         Firmware Revision:  ADOC7AA6
>         Firmware Revision:  DACOA76A

Sigh, the classic nuxi problem.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/NUXI-problem.html

I'll take a look this evening...

> Looking at the Model & Serial # fields, I'd bet this is an endian

Yup.  Should be easy enough to fix, though...

Rob