List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: svn 11464: why?
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-02-24 19:19:39

On Friday 24 February 2006 11:44 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 11:09, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> > > The patch's description says it's to speed up compiles, but I benched
> > > it here and including regex.h is slightly less expensive than include
> > > stdio.h, which isn't exactly something we avoid doing...
> >
> > You tested sed only?
> > Before this patch ALL applets compiled with include <regex.h>
> > Current: only required xregex() function.
>
> you're benching how long it takes to compile busybox now ?  and you're
> saying that including regex.h makes some kind of appreciable difference in
> compile times ?
> -mike

The checkin comment said the reason for splitting it out was to make the
compile faster.  I thought that was weird, so I checked it.

Mostly I was just wondering why it's nonstandard.  It's neither using the
standard #include <regex.h> nor the busybox local standard #include
"libbb.h", but instead it's its own header file containing exactly one
function prototype.

Rob