List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Name Service Switch (NSS) for LDAP user authentication -
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-01-27 19:27:37

On Friday 27 January 2006 01:46, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Rob Landley schrieb:
> > On Thursday 26 January 2006 09:08, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>

> >>As far as I understand, to do this, one needs Name Service Switch.
> >
> > Which is part of your c library and we don't mess with it.  As long as
> > getpwnam() and friends feed us that data we need, we're pretty happy.
> >
> >>What steps do I have to take to add Name Service Switch to a
> >>busybox-based distribution, so that the system could get the users and
> >>groups from an LDAP server?
> >
> > 1) Configure your libc to provide it.  I know glibc can, but I doubt the
> > uClibc guys would ever actually want to.  (The horror that is pam is
> > probably involved.)
>
> So I'm in trouble, as I use uClibc?

Dunno.  Ask the uclibc guys.

> > 2) Tell busybox not to use its internal passwd functions.
> > (CONFIG_USE_BB_PWD_GRP should be off).
>
> But how can that help me fetch the credentials from LDAP?

Your C library should do it for you once you've configured it to.  Disabling
the internal busybox password functions means using the ones out of the C
library.  Ours are smaller, but not designed to be extended by things like
Pluggable Authentication Modules (pam).

You know, /etc/nsswitch.conf and all that?

Rob