List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] busybox development status?
From:       "Glenn L. McGrath" <bug1 () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2005-04-15 3:25:20

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:59:22 -0600
Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> wrote:

> On Thu Apr 14, 2005 at 09:05:21AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:

> > anyway, it feels like the backlog of candidate changes is getting
> > longer and longer, with less and less discussion going on, and
> > with less observable forward progress.
> >
> > in short:  what's up?

> Ideally, I need to find some lieutenants to help me get patches
> reviewed and merged...

I used to do contribute a fair bit to reviewing/merging, but have a lost
a lot my motivation since my legal encounter with LSILogic.

Looking at the products page (ignoring hall of shame) we have

Sharp
Cyclades
Linksys
Dell
Netgear
ASUS
USRobotics
D-Link
Siemens
(and others)

All have comercial products that use busybox, i expect each of these
companies is worth billions of dollars, they all have the resources to
take a be afford small strategic investments. Such as contributing to the
maintenance of busybox.

Of course they dont have to, the GPL doesnt force them to, and they dont
have the foresight or understanding to comprehend the benefits of
co-operative development.

What really gets on my nerves is when companies worth billions go out of
their way to avoid living up to their legal responsabilities to a
volunteer project, putting NDA's ontop of GPL'ed work to try and
discourage disemination of GPLed source. Ggrrr... i still havent gotten
over LSILogic.

I think we need someone like the OSDL to champion our cause, they are
probably good at corporate liasons, maybe they could suck upto some of
these companies and pry enough money off them to fund a full time
busybox maintiner.

Glenn