List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] CONFIG_FEATURE_AWK_MATH causes boot to hang
From:       olivier.delouya () takimaging ! com
Date:       2005-02-28 13:28:55

--=_alternative 0049B4ACC1256FB6_=

Hi,

I confirm that hard maths hang my ARM platform at boot time, because it
does not actually
have floating support..
The fault was not easy to locate; Not making any math operation, the lock
happened on a
simple setjmp/longjump, when the libc attempted to save / restore floating
point registers..
Fix: on my own, use soft math exclusively..

Good luck

Olivier Delouya

Felix Domke <tmbinc@elitedvb.net>
Sent by: busybox-bounces@mail.codepoet.org
25/02/2005 18:30

busybox@mail.codepoet.org
cc

Subject
Re: [BusyBox] CONFIG_FEATURE_AWK_MATH causes boot to hang

Hi,

>>> Has anyone else seen this problem and know the cause/fix.
> I _think_ that got fixed on later glibc's.  Also the problem only occurs
> with CONFIG_FEATURE_AWK_MATH, if I turn that option off it works just
fine.
Looks like you're building with hardfloat and without kernel fpu
emulation.

This will hang the boot process for some reason (I don't know why there
aren't any errors).

However i've seen this behaviour, and enabling the fpu emulation fixed
it. Softfloat might be a better alternative, but sometimes you need
binary compatibility which you'll (almost) get with the fpu emulation.

Felix

--=_alternative 0049B4ACC1256FB6_=

platform at boot time, because it does not actually</font>
making any math operation, the lock happened on a </font>
attempted to save / restore floating point registers..</font>
causes boot to hang</font></table>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Has anyone else seen this problem and know the cause/fix.<br>
&gt; I _think_ that got fixed on later glibc's. &nbsp;Also the problem
only occurs<br>
&gt; with CONFIG_FEATURE_AWK_MATH, if I turn that option off it works just
fine.<br>
Looks like you're building with hardfloat and without kernel fpu emulation.<br>
This will hang the boot process for some reason (I don't know why there<br>
aren't any errors).<br>
However i've seen this behaviour, and enabling the fpu emulation fixed<br>
it. Softfloat might be a better alternative, but sometimes you need<br>
binary compatibility which you'll (almost) get with the fpu emulation.<br>
Felix<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0049B4ACC1256FB6_=--