List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] how does telnetd set up a user session?
From:       "Vijay Padiyar" <vijay_padiyar () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-17 12:13:28

Hi

I'm using BusyBox 1.0 with Linux 2.6.10 on an MPC8260 target. I've
configured inetd to run automatically on startup (inittab) and am calling
telnetd through it (inetd.conf).

I'm facing a situation where my remote telnet terminal gets stuck midway
when I run some commands that involve significant transfer of data from the
target to the terminal. For example, when I do an 'ls -l' on a directory
with lots of entries (e.g. /lib or /proc), or when I do a 'more' on a large
file, it displays half the stuff and then gets completely stuck. I have to
close the terminal window or kill the appropriate shell process (ash) on the
target.

I've mounted a JFFS2 partition on my Flash as root and am running BusyBox
from there. I've also mounted the /dev/pts file system and am using that to
set up the telnet connection.

To debug this problem, I just need to get a basic idea of how a telnet
connection is set up. Can someone explain to me how exactly a shell process
(ash) is set up by BusyBox in response to a login from the system console or
telnet? Which is the code that sets up the link between the ash process and
the appropriate device file (/dev/ttySx or /dev/pts/x)?

I hope my question wasn't confusing!!! I'm really looking forward to some
help on this!

Regards

Vijay Padiyar

http://www.vijaypadiyar.eu.tf