List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] On TODO list: Sys V compiled init scripts
From:       matteo.pampolini () seleniacomms ! com
Date:       2005-01-25 13:26:55

Hi there, my name is Matteo and I'm writing from Italy.

I've been using BusyBox for many years now and it's really a wonderful
piece of code for embedded
systems (I guess almost every Linux embedded device uses it).

Now a new feature came to my mind and I'm very sorry if, instead of
suggesting I did not start coding
by myself, but in Italy software development and community participation
(at least at this serious level)
is perceived to be a waste of time by most companies (though they use great
pieces of code like this,
because they need them, anyway) leading to very few spare time for such an
interesting thing.

Now let's come to my suggestion: a typical embedded system is not
configurable by the user (except
for the obvious things like networking stuff), moreover critical system
files are kept in a read-only flash
partition.

In addition, boot time has to be kept as lower as possible, and one of the
common trick is to avoid the
use of Sys V init scripts for faster compiled programs.

See it this way: when a rc script is executed at boot time, most of the
commands are actually calls to
busybox executable: then, why don't parse and, in such a way, compile all
scripts, calling internally
BusyBox functions that perform the needed task?

I didn't got very far inside BusyBox architecture, but I guess it's not an
impossible job, since script parsing
and interpreting is already performed by BusyBox shell (please note how the
circle is closed).

So, in development phase, one could go on as today, while in production
phase all scripts could be
compiled for faster execution.

Any comment is very appreciated,

Matteo.