List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Strange `su' problem
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2004-06-27 2:17:56

On Saturday 26 June 2004 01:51, Arjun Asthana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got busybox working on my RHL 7.2 machine. I made busybox with support
> for /etc/shadow. Now, whenever I run `busybox su' it says: `su:
> /etc/shadow: Permission denied'. Then, I made it againg with in-built
> password support. Now, when I run `busybox su' and enter the correct
> password, it says: `su: incorrect password'. I'm not a programmer, so don't
> know what causes it or how can I fix it.

The su command is one of the ones that wants busybox to have the suid bit set.
the executable needs to be long to root and chmod +s busybox done on it.

Note there are security implications of doing this, you don't want busybox
running "cp" and friends suid root.  I've never really looked into the
busybox "suid" support, there are two things glued together there, the "drop
priveledges for things that shouldn't be running suid" support, which I can
only hope is always on, and the "built-in not quite sudo support with a
config file in /etc", which I don't want.

I haven't seen it documented and haven't looked very closely at that part of
the code.  You could ask around here...

I've always had the vague idea that if I started caring, I'd make two busybox
.config files: one with all the suid stuff and one with the normal stuff, and
call one "busybox-suid" or such and have symlinks pointing to it, and the
rest of the symlinks pointing to the other one.  But I've never gotten around
to it...

> Another thing is if I want to make a multi-user bootable-floppy using
> busybox, how do I do it? I mean, I need help with only the multi-user part.

You already seem to know about /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.  You'll need a
login prompt, and the easy way to do that is just run init...

Rob
--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)