List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Utility of having [ in currently defined functions
From:       Wolfgang Denk <wd () denx ! de>
Date:       2004-06-25 6:59:59

In message <40DBC827.4010304@codito.com> you wrote:

> [] is part of shell syntax. what I was wondering (when I posted the querry) -

Actually it is NOT. It has nothing to do with syntax!

It may be implemented as built-in command of the shell for reasons of
efficiency like some other often used commands, but strictly speaking
'[' is a normal command like 'cat' or 'ls' or 'cc'.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth  and  Know-
ledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."  - Albert Einstein