List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] bug: chown and symlinks
From:       lenaerts.frank () pandora ! be (Frank Lenaerts)
Date:       2004-04-27 21:52:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:58:48PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:05:34 +0200
> Frank Lenaerts <lenaerts.frank@pandora.be> wrote:
>
> > Busybox chown follows the symlink and changes the ownerships of the
> > file pointed to instead of the ownerships of the symlink itself while
> > GNU chown changes the ownerships of the symlink itself.
>
> The manpage of GNU chown, and the posix spec say the -h option should
> make it act on the symlink rather than the file the symlink points to.

Hmm, I never noticed this option and got used to the behaviour without
using the option.

> So i think busybox's behaviour is reasonable.

I agree.

--
lenaerts.frank@pandora.be

gpg fingerprint: A41E A399 5160 BAB9 AEF1  58F2 B92A F4AB 9FFB 3707
gpg key id: 9FFB3707

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer