List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] busybox doesn't handle 'ar r'
From:       Glenn McGrath <bug1 () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-03-31 22:06:23

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:29:16 +0200
magicfox <magicfox@magic.fr> wrote:

> It's seems that busybox doesn't handle a 'ar r' cmd.
> ar utility of binutils do that (but a lot of same cmd are handle by
> busybox).
> Is this feature is planed ?

Yes, but its a long way down on my todo list, my priorities for the
archival code at the moment are.

1) Create a new extraction applet called cart (Cpio AR Tar)
   Automatically detect and handle the compression/archive format (is
anybody else sick of having to specify -j or -z?)
   Allow patch files to specified as options, they will be applied in
given order after extraction of main archive.
   Option to create a manifest of extracted files.

2) Update/revise generic unarchiving code and applets, possibly do some
work on unzip and dpkg.

3) Work on generic archiving code, to enable creation of ar, cpio
archives, update tar to use generic archive creative code.

4) Advanced features for cart, including its own archive format.

But the reality is, my time is restricted by my day job, it could easly
be 6 months before i start step 3 :(

Glenn