List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] BusyBox and Minicom
From:       Brent Baude <baude () chartermi ! net>
Date:       2004-03-28 15:43:35

Folks,

Here's what I did to circumvent the problems with busybox and minicom.
Sorry it took me a bit to dig up the file and send this mail.

In minicom.c, the problem seems to be coming from this little piece of
code which I commented out:

/*if ((pwd = getpwuid(real_uid)) == (struct passwd *)0) {
         fputs(_("You don't exist. Go away. (in minicom.c)-- \n"), stderr);
     exit(1);
     }*/

Then I made a fake structure to replace what getpwuid would normally do:

struct passwd brentspwent;
    char fakename[]="root";
    char fakedir[] = "/root";
    char fakeinit[] = "/bin/ash";
    pwd = getpwuid(real_uid);
    pwd=&brentspwent;
    brentspwent.pw_uid=0;
    brentspwent.pw_name=fakename;
    brentspwent.pw_gid=0;
    brentspwent.pw_shell=fakeinit;
    brentspwent.pw_dir=fakedir;

Security isn't a problem for my use of busybox and minicom so this works
fine.  It would be interesting to understand why getpwuid doesn't work
properly.

Regards,

Brent Baude