List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] -pre8 insmod fails on mipsel
From:       j <j_jan1999 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-03-24 20:07:09

Hello,
Here are the details of what I am using and the
bug I am encountering.

mipsel-uclibc-gcc for target (embedded system)
uClibc 0.9.26 (latest release)
busybox -pre8 configured to build insmod, etc.
the LKM mymod.o is:
ELF 32-bit LSB MIPS-II relocatable, MIPS, version 1
(SYSV), not stripped

When I attempt to load this LKM,
I get the following results.

# ./insmod mymod.o
insmod: QM_MODULES: Success

After this, 'cat /proc/devices' does not
show mymod.  If 'rmmod mymod' is used, it
says nothing.

Please note, I have now built standard modutils
for my target (modutils 2.4.27), and this same
LKM loads successfully.

Also, this same LKM loads properly with -pre7 and
uClibc 0.9.20, with one caveat.
On -pre7, there is some funny
business going on with resolving or relocating
symbols, such that if the LKM has a structure with
only 1 or 2 int's, the structure is not loaded
properly.  Putting a few "int dummy1; int dummy2;"
in the structure allows the LKM to load properly
under -pre7.

If anyone has suggestions for things to try under
-pre8, or more info is needed, please let me know.

--JC