List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] how to get login to ask for password on a given port?
From:       "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2004-03-23 19:05:09

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, David Meggy wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 10:22, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   # getty -L 9600 ttd/0 &    # "-L" for local line, so don't do DCD
>
> Try just adding this to /etc/inittab.  That is where login's belong and
> will get automatically started at boot.
>
> >   have i missed a critical option here?  how does getty pass on the info
> > to /bin/login as to which port to continue to use?
>
> try running "ls -l /proc/[login process number]/fd/"
>
> You can then see what it's standard file descriptors are.

an excellent suggestion, which showed the following:  the initial getty
had fds:

 0 -> /dev/ttd/0
 1 -> /dev/ttd/0
 2 -> /dev/ttd/0

all correct.  once we typed in the username, and login was exec'ed,
the login fds were:

 0 -> /dev/ttd/0
 1 -> /dev/ttd/0
 2 -> /dev/ttd/0
 3 -> /dev/tty      ???

not sure where fd 3 came from, but it's obviously the one being used
by the login program since it corresponds to the current console, which
i verified with:

  # echo HI > /dev/tty

how exactly do i get login to keep working with /dev/ttd/0?

rday