List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Fixes to busy box dpkg applet
From:       Glenn McGrath <bug1 () optushome ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-11-28 22:52:50

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:39:12 +0000
Ian Campbell <icampbell@arcom.com> wrote:

> Do you use something else for your (embedded) package management needs
> these days? Our embedded distro uses the .deb format and I am quite
> keen on having a cut down dpkg like tool available...

My motivation for writing busybox dpkg was the debian installer, they
still use udpkg, which is where busybox dpkg originally came from.

Last time i checked, busybox dpkg was a little bit bigger than udpkg
however has more features, im not sure if udpkg even does version
checking. Busybox dpkg also generates a status file compatable with the
real dpkg.

I lost motivation to work on bb dpkg because of debian-installers lack
of interest, im glad to hear that you find it usefull.

One thing about bb dpkg i dont like is it memory usage, too many
pointers, i have been working on a more efficient method for dependency
storage, but havent attempted to hook it upto bb dpkg.

> I found that current CVS busybox does not handle alternates in
> dependencies or provides very well. The attached patch (hopefully)
> makes these work. It's a bit more involved than the last one, but I
> think it's pretty solid, and it handles alternatives in dependencies
> and provides correctly now, including virtual provides
> ("x-window-manager").

Ive committed it to cvs, virtual dependencies will be most usefull.

Thanks

Glenn