List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] getty, login and PPP ???
From:       Steven Scholz <steven.scholz () imc-berlin ! de>
Date:       2003-03-28 8:49:03

Hi there,

I am trying to setup a PPP dial server on top of busybox.

But I have the following problem:

getty is serving the modem, presenting /etc/issue and then starting login.
After entering the username on the client side the server (i.e. busybox) is
_not_ asking for the password over the modem line! Instead it ask for the
password in the terminal where I initially started getty:

~ # getty -h -L -w -I 'ATE0Q1&D2&C1S0=1\015' 115200 modem
Password:

Browsing through the busybox sources I found that getpass() is used.
The (i.e. my) man page of getpass() states:
--------------------
        This function is obsolete. Do not use it.

        The  getpass()  function  opens  /dev/tty (the controlling
        terminal of the process), outputs the string prompt, turns
        off echoing, reads one line (the "password"), restores the
        terminal state and closes /dev/tty again.

So what can we do?
How could I build a dial in server with busybox components?
Has someone thought about implementing the AutoPPP option from mgetty into
busybox's getty?

Any comment is welcome!

Thanks a million,

Steven