List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Kernel panic
From:       Gene Cumm <greenpuddy () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-03-18 20:04:03

Jeff Allan wrote:
> Hello All
> When I issue a poweroff command, I get the following message:-
> shutting down I2o system This could take a few minutes if there are many
> devices atached i2o system down Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! I
> am would like to know what the Kill init signal is, I am running version
> .60.5.
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

I've had the same problem and I blamed it on my kernel config and that
it lacked APM like my main system.  I then tried to include APM in the
same configuration and poweroff works fine.  However, halt gives results
similar to what you are experiencing.

Try compiling the kernel with APM enabled (I've got all of the APM
options off and it works fine).  It increased my kernel by about 17kiB
but now I can poweroff, as long as I use the poweroff binary, not halt.

I've currently got x86 uClibc/busybox/kernel 0.9.16/0.60.5/2.4.20 but
plan on updating to uClibc 0.9.19 as soon as I have my new build system
online.