List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] Relocation overflows with MIPS hosts?
From:       "William A. Gatliff" <bgat () billgatliff ! com>
Date:       2002-12-30 21:50:06

Guys:

I'm running busybox-0.60.4 on a linux-2.4.18-mips kernel.  I'm also
using gcc-3.2.1, binutils-2.13.1, and uClibc-0.9.16.

Any time I try to load a module, I get this:

# insmod /chardev.o
Using /chardev.o
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for sprintf
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for sprintf
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for create_proc_entry
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for register_chrdev
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for unregister_chrdev
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for remove_proc_entry
Segmentation fault
#

I'm building chardev.o like this:

$ mips-linux-gcc -c -O2 -Wall -fno-pic -mno-abicalls chardev.c

Is this a known problem, or should I start looking at code?  I get the
same results with the 20021231 snapshot.

Thanks!

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff