List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Bug in ash unstable
From:       "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo () simtreas ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-31 4:30:04

Robert,

> > > I'm justing playing around with familiar/busybox to get FiSH (Files over
> > > SSH) working via mc and KDE3 konqueror, so you can browse your iPAQ from
> > > the desktop.
> > > I'm using busybox unstable (CVS from today) with bb ash as /bin/sh.
> > >
> > > I have it nearly working now except one thing: copying files from the
> > > desktop to the iPAQ. I have narrowed down the problem to a simple
> > > command:
> > >
> > > ( echo 'cat >/tmp/dst'; cat /tmp/src ) | sh
> > >
> > > [in case of FiSH this is not piped to sh, but to a ssh command]
> > >
> > > With sh == /bin/bash, everything works alright
> > > With sh == /bin/busybox ash, the shell tries to interpret the content of
> > > /tmp/src as a shell script which fails most of the time. Instead the
> > > correct (bash like) behaviour would be to hand over stdin to the second
> > > cat command, right after it is executed)
> >
> > Please, give me minimal test for demonstrate.
> >

> A simple example:
>
> $ ( echo 'cat >/tmp/bb'; cat /bin/busybox ) | sh
>
> This should copy /bin/busybox to /tmp/bb (well it *does* with sh == bash, but
> *not* with sh == busybox ash)

???
I can not understand it VERY strange method of copying. :00
I also can not understand, why so the bash works. This new expansion can?
I think, ash executing this test true:

1. create empty /tmp/bb
2. typing /bin/busybox
3. executing this binary file (!) as shell script

All version ash have this effect.
Please forward your ask to original ash mantainer.
This haven`t busybox specific.

--w
vodz