List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] busybox init:
From:       Dinesh Nagpure <dinesh_nagpure () ivivity ! com>
Date:       2002-09-24 12:30:06

Hello,

I am trying to boot my port of Linux kernel 2.4.16 on our FPGA board using
MIPS RM5231A processor. During the boot process, till the kernel tries to
execute /bin/init all the messages seems to be proper. The kernel even opens
the initial console successfully using the open call as,
open("/dev/console", O_RDWR,0);
Next when it tries to execute the busybox init nothing appears on the
screen. Printk messages do show that do_execve( ) is entered every few
seconds and exited  successfully everytime.
I remember somebody having similar problem last year on a Motorola board and
his/her solution was to static build uClib and busybox. In my case I am
already doing that. Also my RAMDISK root works well on the MIPS Malta board
with no problem.

My inittab looks like:
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
::respawn:/bin/getty 38400 ttyS0
::ctrlaltdel:/bin/umount -a -r

And rcS just mounts everything in the fstab using /bin/mount -a where all I
have is proc.

I think something funny is happening while opening the console just could
not put my finger on (may be I am doing some silly thing here). I am going
to try with taking out getty from my inittab to see what happens.

I also tried a very simple inittab which would just,
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
::askfirst:/bin/sh

With no change in the outcome.

Does anyone see something totally wrong here?

Thanks
Dinesh