List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] ash running /etc/profile when started from inittab,take
From:       "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo () simtreas ! ru>
Date:       2002-07-24 10:39:03

Rich,

> I grabbed busybox_stable init.c version 1.164 and plugged it into my busybox \
> 0.60.3.
> With inittab reading
> ttyS0::respawn:-/bin/sh
> my /etc/profile is read, but I still get the dreaded "sh: can't access tty; job \
> control turned off"

Ohhhhhh. 2 year dispute...
If use respawn, you MUST reopen tty for set as controlling tty.
This specail for Unix standart utils:
*getty openvt ...
for open interactive process

> If I try
> ttyS0::respawn:-/bin/sh </dev/ttyS0 >/dev/ttyS0 2>/dev/ttyS0
> I get the message
> exec: -/bin/sh: No such file or directory
> printed about once per second.

Yes. Current version if found shell special chars "><" calling
sh without special parsing '-'.

Result:
1) use getty+login utils
or
2) use :askfirt: inittab entry

> I suppose I need to grab a snapshot of the entire development tree!
> <go do it: get July 24 version>
> Oops, I'm getting a link error.  I don't understand why.  Here's the transcript:
> (rm applets/busybox.o)
> /usr/powerpc-linux-uclibc/bin/powerpc-uclibc-gcc -s -Wl,-warn-common -o busybox
> /import/home/richw/downloads/busybox/applets/applets.a \
> me like main IS defined. Any ideas?

uclibc wrapper for ld?
Other not ideas... Ask to uclibc maillist.

--w
vodz