List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] mount -f not updating /etc/mtab
From:       "Tim M. Sanders" <tsanders () thesanders ! org>
Date:       2002-03-20 11:44:06

The mount -f command does not seem to put anything into the /etc/mtab
file.  I have compiled in mount and mtab support into busybox;

    #
    #   Common options for ls and more
    #
    CONFIG_FEATURE_AUTOWIDTH=y
    # CONFIG_PIVOT_ROOT is not set
    # CONFIG_RDATE is not set
    # CONFIG_SWAPONOFF is not set
    CONFIG_MOUNT=y
    CONFIG_NFSMOUNT=y
    # CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_DEVPS_PATCH is not set
    CONFIG_UMOUNT=y
    CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_FORCE=y

    #
    # Common options for mount/umount
    #
    CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_LOOP=y
    CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT=y

When I issue the command
    mount -f /mnt/floppy
the /etc/mtab is still blank.  I have an entry in /etc/fstab like
    /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy msdos   noauto 0 1
for the floppy drive.

I want this because the umount -a command unmounts all mount points in
/etc/mtab.  So when I do the reboot command, with my /dev/hda2 mounted,
I have to fsck the disk at the next boot.  Thus is was not unmounted
correctly.  I have this entry for shutdown (ctrl-alt-del) in the inittab
    ::ctrlaltdel:/bin/umount -a -r
    ::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r

Did I miss a busybox compile-time option?