List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] insmod fails strangely
From:       David Douthitt <ssrat () mailbag ! com>
Date:       2001-12-28 3:20:08

I've been working on getting my floppy Linux distro to use standard
kernels (instead of the LRP patches used until now).  Part of this
involves making a minimal root filesystem image, and copying it to a
bigger root volume which is then used for the real root filesystem.

However, insmod is failing strangely.  It returns "Using tulip.o" (the
first module to be used) and then causes the function to exit - ONLY
the function, not the script.  The script is being run by busybox ash.

I'm checking for return values, and found no errors - but then,
perhaps it never gets there.  If the insmod function is replaced with
an echo, then all modules are "loaded" but if the insmod is in, then
only the "Using tulip.o" message is output.  There is no message from
tulip.o, and there should be errors (since the network card is not a
tulip card).  The idea is to try three or four most common cards and
expect one to work... but anyway...

This setup worked before with this script and this busybox (0.60.2
statically compiled with uClibc).  Is there something that insmod
needs that its not telling?  And why would insmod (or ash?) exit the
function afterwards?

The function is basically doing the following:

1. Read a configuration file with modules listed
2. Strip comments and blank lines
3. Read module and args (using a read statement)
4. If module is found, insmod $module $args
5. Check for errors - and act on them

There's about a dozen modules listed, but only tulip.o is attempted.

I tried putting the insmod into the new environment with a chroot (not
busybox chroot: asmutils) - and it made no difference, except the
"Using tulip.o" message vanished...
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator