List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] syslogd: ipc option problems
From:       "Michael Renzmann" <mrenzmann () web ! de>
Date:       2001-05-30 9:38:25

Hi all.

After some months without having used the ipc option of bb's
syslogd and starting a new project I had some problems with
that whole stuff. I finally solved them, but I want to let
you know about two things that should be looked at:

1. The documentation for syslogd should be updated. It does
not say something about the parameter '-C' which has to be
used for turning on Gennady's circular buffer patch.

2. I stumbled over a small bug:

zaphod:~/# ./busybox syslogd -C -m 1
syslogd: semop[SMwup]: Try again

Leaving away the -m option works fine. Using this combination
instead also works:

zaphod:~/# ./busybox syslogd -m 1 -C

As far as I could see this problem does only occur if the
'-C' parameter is used.

To Gennady: what sections of the source have to be adjusted
to have a syslog buffer with more than 16k space? Would it be
enough to change the value '16000' that are passed to the
variables data_size and shm_size near the beginning of the
source? And wouldn't it by the way be better to write:
shm_size = data_size + sizeof(*buf);
instead of:
shm_size = 16000 + sizeof(*buf);
?
How about a parameter in Config.h to make adjustment of the
syslog buffer size more convenient?

Bye, Mike
Ferienklick.de - Jede Menge Urlaub auf einen Blick!
Hier geht's zu Ihrem Traumstrand: http://ferienklick.de/?PP=2-0-100-105-1