List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] insmod on old kernels
From:       "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo () simtreas ! ru>
Date:       2001-02-28 11:29:09

Erik Andersen wrote:

> > You see old version this test.
> > New version have date 8 Feb.
> > >From my ftp log:
> > Fri Feb 23 13:15:30 2001 1 slag.lineo.com
> > /home/ftp/pub/my/bb/new/bsearch_tst.c.gz
> > Is not you?
>
> slag.lineo.com is my work box, not Mark's.

Ok. To my memory :))

> > This version not have error in bsearch2, and very addition faster.
>
> Here is your find_applet_by_name3 linear search adjusted for busybox
> with debugging code added.  Try pasting this into busybox utility.c
> and run it.  Is it fast?  yes.  Does it work?  No.

Oops. Yes - test is broken. Its fast hand test. My first variant
with this theme not have this error. I REALY usage this project and
realy test and work with my ideas.

> struct BB_applet *find_applet_by_name(const char *name)
> {
>     struct BB_applet *applet;
>
>     for(applet = applets; applet < &applets[NUM_APPLETS]; applet++)
>         if(*applet->name == *name && strcmp(applet->name+1, name+1)) {
-	         if(*applet->name == *name && strcmp(applet->name+1, name+1)) {
+         if(*applet->name == *name && strcmp(applet->name+1, name+1)==0) {
>             fprintf(stderr, "matched '%s'\n", applet->name);
>             return applet;
>         }
>     return 0;
> }

But:

1) If interese fast, you require many rewrote in project. For example:
last work with usage(). This fast? This very optimize for size, not fast.
And better.

2) Theme is "usage high tehnology search algorithm with slow compare function"
This is mixing! Its not comproromise, its lame. Or/or. Compromise - see up.

3) Requires: presort array.
a) It is inconvenient for addition applets which do not exist in the project.
Thus it will be not possible to user of the project to make correct patch to
applet.h as at him it will differ not at the end of a file, and in the middle.
b) Not history :))

> I'm willing to look at further test results and consider patches.  I am not
> willing to apply code just because _you_ think it is good.

My posts not small without emotions you absolute ignore.

> If you want code
> applied to busybox, or any other open source project, you must play by the
> same rules everyone else lives by.  Be polite, post simple patches, and be
> prepared to defend your patches or repost them.

Ok. Rules in this project is your.
But my mentalitete: long ignore is insult.

Let the project goes with anyone delays. But mixing old ideas and new,
frequently ignoring many ideas of participants, you add problems for these
authors. Why not see ideas consistently?
To not pass without explanations, to write down in your notebook postponed
owing to not have time of the offer?

As argument "Linus"? So it still that authoritative person.
And amounts of works are not comparable.  ;)

--w
vodz