List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] Re: cmdedit width setting
From:       Larry Doolittle <ldoolitt () recycle ! lbl ! gov>
Date:       2001-01-31 19:43:53

I tested width 79 vs. 80 as the default for the case where
ioctl(TIOCGWINSZ) writes a 0 into win.ws_col, with no error
reported.

Of course, 80 works better.  I don't know what 80-column
terminals have a "line wrap bug", but an xterm is not one
of them.  Switching to 79 gives the usual problems with
long-line redraws getting corrupted.  If I physically shrink
the xterm down to 79 wide, everything works again.

For now, can we set the default to 80?  For 0.51, can we
try to collapse the terminal width logic (currently scattered
over cmdedit.c, ls.c, more.c, ps.c, and wget.c) into a
library?  Maybe it could try to use an environment variable
for my strange case?

      - Larry