List:       busybox
Subject:    [BusyBox] clean Bourne shell parser, progress but need help
From:       larry () doolittle ! boa ! org
Date:       2000-12-31 23:16:18

I posted one more update to parser.c to
  http://doolittle.faludi.com/~larry/parser.c

This represents a major rework of some key guts to the program,
so it can now parse things like
   (echo header; cd /etc; test -r motd && cat motd ) 2>&1 | less

The other big change is that it now has a runtime "engine"
(mostly copied from busybox) patched in.  So it can actually
run "ls | cat".  That part is noticeably buggy still.

The total executable size has grown to about 11K.  This does
not represent all of busybox.sh; in particular the builtin
functions and prompting are missing.

Lurkers, go ahead and browse that copy.  I would _really_
like a volunteer to step forward to work with this code.
I'm near the end of my patience, and available time.  If
you have very strong c language and Bourne shell programming
experience, and an interest in giving embedded Linux/BusyBox
a push toward the mainstream shell compatibility, send me an
e-mail.  The code is at the point where it could really benefit
from having another pair of eyes go through it, and another
set of hands to clean things up.

I see the other traffic regarding ash.  I guess that is now
GPL compatible (4-clause BSD, but probably covered by the
UC Regents advertising retraction).  I'd be curious to see
a fair comparison of the size of the two programs.

       - Larry