List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Pristine source directory (patch)
From:       Larry Doolittle <ldoolitt () recycle ! lbl ! gov>
Date:       2000-11-30 22:05:17

> > I played around with things like
> >
> > CONFIG_LIST = $(addsuffix /Config.h,$(subst :, ,$(VPATH)))
> > CONFIG_H    = $(word 1,$(shell ls -f -1 $(CONFIG_LIST) 2>/dev/null))
> > CFLAGS     += $(patsubst %,-I%,$(subst :, ,$(VPATH)))
> >
> > ...but it looks like gcc goes to the directory that holds
> > the .c file first, and to -I. second.  That makes the search
> > order inconsistent between busybox.sh (which I adapted to use
> > $(CONFIG_H)) and the compile.
>
> Hmm.  I'll play around with this a bit as I adapt the debian package
> to do this...  Maybe I can come up with something better...  Or not,

What I show above may be almost enough to get the compile working
"right", if you add "-I-" to CFLAGS.  man gcc.  I just tested that,
and it didn't blow up.

I'd at least recommend that up in the Makefile where it says
# If you have a "pristine" source directory, point BB_SRC_DIR to it.
add lines that say "experimental and incomplete; tell the mailing
list <busybox@busybox.net> if you do or don't like it
so far."

      - Larry

P.S. I like the comments Erik added in busybox.h just ahead of
#define PROTOTYPES
#include "applets.h"
#undef PROTOTYPES