List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] cmdedit.c in CVS
From:       Erik Andersen <andersen () lineo ! com>
Date:       2000-10-30 20:30:25

On Mon Oct 30, 2000 at 03:15:09PM -0500, Gennady Feldman wrote:
> Hello Everybody.
>
>  I pulled the latest CVS tree this morning and tried building BusyBox w/
> SH and Command Line editing/completion enabled when I got the following
> error message:
>
> cmdedit.c: In function `input_tab':
> cmdedit.c:291: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer
> without a cast
> cmdedit.c:294: `lastWasTab' undeclared (first use in this function)
> cmdedit.c:294: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>
> It seems that the file is totally broken at this point, since the
> function seems to check the undeclared variable? (should it be a global
> variable instead? file scope?). Is anybody working on this?

If you read the comments in Config.h, you will see:

    // Enable tab completion in the shell (not yet
    // working very well -- so don't turn this on)
    //#define BB_FEATURE_SH_TAB_COMPLETION

The part about "don't turn this on" is very serious -- Don't turn on
BB_FEATURE_SH_TAB_COMPLETION unless you have the time, interest, and ability to
fix it, since it does not work.  If you do want to take a stab a fixing it,
that would be great -- I've been otherwise occupied and have not needed this
for my embedded work, so I never finished it.

That said, if you turn off BB_FEATURE_SH_TAB_COMPLETION, it should work
as a very minimal shell.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen@lineo.com