List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [BusyBox] Memory problem with 2.4.x kernels
From:       Erik Andersen <andersen () lineo ! com>
Date:       2000-08-30 16:37:45

On Wed Aug 30, 2000 at 01:42:37PM +0600, Jonathan Hseu wrote:
> BusyBox seems to detect the available memory wrong in 2.4.x
> kernels.  Since it's used on the Debian boot disks, this is kind of a
> problem... I have 256 MB RAM, and when I boot up on the disks with a
> 2.4.x kernel, it gives me an error saying I'm short on memory.  If i
> take out the hang code in that area, it works fine, but that's a cheap
> workaround.  Is there any way you can change it to detect memory
> correctly in 2.4.x kernels?

The debian boot floppies use a release-critical-bugs-fixed variant of BusyBox
0.43.  The current CVS BusyBox copes properly with the binary incompatible
kernel change to the sysinfo syscall, and I have for some time now been trying
to get a patch into the kernel that corrects the compatibility problem.  So far
it has not made it into 2.4.x.

When I asked on Debian-boot if I should integrate the fix to this problem, we
(the debian boot floppies developers) decided to wait for woody.  If you
_really_ would like to see this fixed in a point release, file a bug vs the
boot floppies and mention that I have the code ready to fix it should folks
decide to make the change.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen@lineo.com