List:       buildroot
Subject:    [Buildroot] Buildroot tutorial for Xilinx ML405
From:       grant.likely () secretlab ! ca (Grant Likely)
Date:       2008-04-30 13:22:06

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:55 AM, John Voltz <john.voltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting. I've always been interested in FPGAs, but never found a
> reason to use them. I've got an Altium Nanoboard that has been gathering
> dust on a shelf for years.
>
> So how fast can you run a PowerPC core on an FPGA anyway?

The Virtex parts have 1 or more hard powerpc 405 or 440 cores
(dedicated silicon, not synthesized in the FPGA) attached to the FPGA
fabric.  I believe they can run up to 400MHz.

> Is it possible to
> get video out of that board too?

Yes, the ML405 has a VGA port.

> What kind of licensing goes along with the
> IP cores if you commercialize a design?

Xilinx provides a set of stock cores for common devices.  Some of them
require licensing fees, some are free.

> Are the cores free for tinkering, or
> do you have to buy them?

You can also use the stuff from opencores.org

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.