List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Solaris libc exploit
From:       Peter Harvey Solaris Sustaining Engineering <peter.harvey () UK ! Sun ! COM>
Date:       1999-05-26 11:20:03

> 4118295 LC_* can be used to obtain root access from setuid programs

This is already fixed in Solaris 7 and the following patches for
Solaris 2.6:

  RELEASE     ARCH  PATCH
  5.6         i386  105211-06
  5.6         sparc 105210-06

The exploit referred to in this thread is in the same area (locales and
environment variables) but is different.

> I've tried to find the referenced bug description, but I wasn't able to
> find it on the Sunsolve KB.

We tend to be cautious about publishing our security bugs.

-- Peter
Sustaining Engineer, Solaris Software, Sun Microsystems
peter.harvey@uk.sun.com