List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Buffer overflow in ftpd and locate bug
From:       "Sergey V. Kolychev" <ksv () GW ! AL ! LG ! UA>
Date:       1999-04-30 8:07:20

Hi.

  I had problem with locate from findutils-4.1.24.rpm from Redhat-5.1
It segfaults if we have huge directory at incoming ftp which created
by exploits for ftpd realpath hole. My ftpd is patched. Those exploits
,i think, should not afraid me, but if updatedb puts to locate database
that directory then locate segfaults. ( getline.c 104 row by gdb )
I guess it can be used for running arbitrary commands if root runs locate.

I had look to latest Redhat-6.0 findutils-4.1.31.rpm but it still
based on findutils-4.1 as well as findutils-4.1.24 and haven't any
patches from redhat concerning subject and I am sure it stiil vulnerable.

      I don't call, I don't cry , I don't sorry.
      All will gone like a white appletreeses's smoke... (S.Esenin)
      http://www.ic.al.lg.ua/~ksv | e-mail: ksv@gw.al.lg.ua
      PGP key & Geekcode: finger ksv@gw.al.lg.ua