List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Antwort: Re: Bug in WinNT 4.0 SP4
From:       tschweikle () FIDUCIA ! DE
Date:       1999-04-27 19:03:52

 David LeBlanc wrote:
>At 03:15 PM 4/19/99 +-200, Alvaro Gilabert wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I supose it is a bug and I will explain why do I think so
>>You can exceed the limit in the number of chars allowed in a filename.
>WinNT does allow it. You can move a folder to a deeper one exceeding it.
>
>That's because the limit isn't where you think it is.  From the
>documentation on CreateFile in the SDK:
>
>Windows NT: You can use paths longer than MAX_PATH characters by calling
>the wide (W) version of CreateFile and prepending *\\?\* to the path. The
>*\\?\* tells the function to turn off path parsing. This lets you use paths
>that are nearly 32,000 Unicode characters long. You must use
>fully-qualified paths with this technique. This also works with UNC names.
>The *\\?\* is ignored as part of the path. For example,
>*\\?\C:\myworld\private* is seen as *C:\myworld\private*, and
>*\\?\UNC\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps* is seen as *\\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps*.
>===============================
>
>So it seems that if you use the APIs properly, you can deal with extremely
>long paths.  When you move things around, it is very likely that you are
>dealing with relative names, not absolute names.
>

>David LeBlanc
>dleblanc@mindspring.com

While following this tread I tried it out. View seconds later my NT server
rebooted.

Trying to create a 'reboot-server-path' from a client - impossible. Seems as if
such path must be created from server console. But what about a carefully
designed program installabel on the server, using the wide variant to create
directories - creating paths exceeding MAX_PATH then setting a share to such a
program?

WinNT crashes within this scenario, every time a client wants to access this
share.
One simpler scenario: install a service. Exceed MAX_PATH. Start this service at
system startup - watch the server rebooting.

THIS IS A BUG - No excuse.

---
Thomas Schweikle <tschweikle@fiducia.de>