List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: News DoS using sendsys
From:       Don Lewis <Don.Lewis () TSC ! TDK ! COM>
Date:       1998-08-27 23:05:51

On Aug 27,  9:32am, David Shaw wrote:
} On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 03:52:58PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
} > There are several possible solutions at different levels of complexity.
} >
} > First, please make sure that your control.ctl file or the equivalent has a
} > line like:
} >
} >         sendsys:*:*:drop
}
} While you're at it, it might be worth adding:
}
}         senduuname:*:*:drop
}         version:*:*:drop
}
} I suspect that once everyone configures their server to stop responding to
} sendsys, the bombers will switch to senduuname and version.  I have
} already seen a hundred "version" requests come in.  Neither version nor
} senduuname are relevant to the overwhelming majority of INN installations
} out there.

Yup, they've already switched.  There's still a lot of overhead even if
you configure "drop".  Here's something that I found in news.admin.technical
that is relevant for INN users: