List:       bugtraq
Subject:    NT4 / IIS troubles
From:       Max Newbould <newbould () IX7 ! IX ! NETCOM ! COM>
Date:       1997-01-29 18:07:42

I discovered that when connected to a web server running IIS and NT4(like
mine http://207.95.8.117) - there is a massive hole, that can slow a box to
a grinding crawl.  Simply send around 15 commands ( just clicking reload a
bunch works too), when this happens on my box, the CPU usage shoots up to
100%(until I end some process associated w/ IIS) and the file server runs
amok.(Constant HD access until processes are closed).  I have reproduced
this on some 15 boxes, and all ops complained of this chronic slowdown.  It
is not a matter of poor CPU either(most boxes were 686).  This will actually
STOP(no more acess/ too low virtual memory to start new threads) a machine
if more than one user is doing it.  It seems IIS/NT4 have some masive bugs.

                -max
                (ignore the netcom part, it is a cable modem)