List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: jj.c
From:       der Mouse <mouse () Holo ! Rodents ! Montreal ! QC ! CA>
Date:       1996-12-25 23:04:47

> I have looked at this before, and tilde escaping from /bin/mail
> shouldn't work on most modern systems simply because the /bin/mail's
> I have looked at dont accept tilde escapes unless the the input is
> coming from a terminal, or /bin/mail is invoked with -I.

It's not quite what you asked for...but under SunOS 4.1.3, /bin/mail
_never_ accepts tilde escapes; /usr/ucb/mail is the Berkeley mail
program.  And it accepts tilde escapes even if none of the standard
descriptors is a terminal:

% cat | /usr/ucb/mail mouse |& cat
~p
-------
Message contains:
To: mouse

(continue)

It will even do this when there is no /dev/tty; I tried setting up
.rhosts trust and doing "rsh <machine> /usr/ucb/mail mouse"; then,
typing ~p into the rsh produced similar output.

Of course, you can always just define "modern" as "has a Berkeley mail
recent enough that it doesn't accept tildes by default unless stdin is
a terminal", in which case your claim becomes...true but uninteresting.

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca