List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: SecurID White Paper - A Comment
From:       Elliot Lee <sopwith () cuc ! edu>
Date:       1996-09-17 0:39:25

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996 carson@lehman.com wrote:

> Alan> There is no major cost issue. ssh is free except for a small amount of
> Alan> extra CPU load. Secure mirroring software using rsync and ssh exists.
>
> Incorrect. ssh requires commercial users to pay for licenses, and said
> licenses are _not_ cheap.

Incorrect. :)

ssh is under the GNU Public license. The only license you could *ever*
need would be RSAref. If you read the RSAref license closely, it allows
you to use it for non-commercial, or internal commercial, use.

Basically you can use ssh for just about anything you want except letting
customers connect to your service, as far as I can see. Note that in the
US, you have to use ssh with RSAref in order not to violate patents.

-- Elliot

"Have you ever had a microchip implanted in your skull so the government
can keep track of your every move? You will! And the company that will
bring it to you is AT&T"