List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Vulnerability in the Xt library
From:       Mike Neuman <mcn () remise ! ORG>
Date:       1996-08-28 17:21:37

> This pretty much depends on how doprnt works (also, the vs 3 compiler from
> Sun has different stack allocations, depending on the optimization).

  You're right. My data point was from a Solaris 1.x system, which appears
to be invulnerable to this specific attack for the sprintf() format overflow
reason.  (Hmmm, reason not to upgrade? :-) )

  Actually, it seems the BSD _doprnt (including the 4.4BSD equivalent
vfprintf() ) will continue until they encounter a '\0' (or segfault), which
probably means they are somewhat less vulnerable.

  Thanks for the clarification.

-Mike
mcn@EnGarde.com