List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Validating email sender
From:       Casper Dik <casper () holland ! Sun ! COM>
Date:       1996-06-30 22:53:52

>And unfortunately there are a plethora of "fake" identds for Windows
>machines.
>
>It makes for interesting reading to see what the user@ of a ppp
>connected PC is as it submits mail. Thankfully we use static IP so we
>know who's sending what without having to resort to combing the logs.

Keep in mind that logging identd responses is a servive you provide for
the owner of the system returning the identd responses.  It has no meaning
for you, you store it as a courtesy to him.

If it's faked, who cares, it's still nice to log them for those sites
that may run identd in earnest and ask you what their identd servers returned
when you get a connection originating from their site.

Casper