List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Publically writable directories
From:       Thomas Koenig <ig25 () mvmampc66 ! ciw ! uni-karlsruhe ! de>
Date:       1996-06-21 22:17:43

Jim Hutchins wrote:

>So for most platforms, it looks like doing an open with O_EXCL is safe,
>though I believe my original statement is still true - "the absolute
>answer is no, you cannot avoid a race condition on ALL platforms."

If somebody's compiling a list: HP-UX 9.0.5 does follow symbolic
links, and thus is vulnerable.

Has anybody written an autoconf macro to check for this kind of thing
yet?
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double