List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Administratrivia
From:       Aleph One <aleph1 () underground ! org>
Date:       1996-06-21 7:52:54

        I will be out of town for the weekend. I will probably have no net
access. Expect list traffic to slow down starting this afternoon, PST.
This read-only thread is strating to get out of control. To recap:

- Its very difficult to have a compleate ro system. Many applications
  (such as mount) need to write to files.
- Yet you can atleast mount all binary directories ro and buy you some
  security that trojans will no be installed there.
- Do not rely on the OS mounting the partition ro. It can be remounted rw.
  Use the ro jumper that many hard drives have, or mount from an NFS server
  exporting ro.
- By mounting from NFS you opening another can of worms. Do you self a
  favor and buy a hard drive, they are cheap enough, and will buy you
  some peace of mind.

Regarding the ICMP/nuke issue. Several pointers to where it an be found
have been posted. It can also be found at underground.org under the unix/tool
section. If someone can nuke your connections, you deserve what you getting.
Upgrade your OS or apply to appropiate patch, you have a broken TCP stack.

Aleph One / aleph1@underground.org
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01