List:       bugtraq
From:       "Michael/Miguel J. Sanchez" <miguel () boytoy ! csd ! sgi ! com>
Date:       1996-06-18 10:11:07

This is just a reminder of the upcoming FIRST Conference and
Workshop this year.  Please, forward this information onto
your constituencies and any other interested parties.  For those
people with websites, please help advertise with a link to
one of the conference websites listed below.  And lastly, if
it is possible to advertise the event in any advisories, bulletins
or newsletters, please do so, as this would be most appreciated.

#########  SPECIAL NOTE     SPECIAL NOTE      SPECIAL NOTE  ########

It is very important that if you have any plans to attend, please
register and make your hotel reservations *NOW*.   This is very
important because of several factors:

      1) Hotel occupancy is at all time high for this summer
         and with the Usenix conference the week before, hotels
         will be filled.
      2) The hotel will only honor the FIRST conference rate
         of $135/night till June 27, 1996. After this date, the rate
         will only be provided on a space available basis.
         The regular non-FIRST rate is $199/night.
      3) The price of gas has increased greatly in the California
         area and travel prices will be going up as the summer
         travel season starts.  People will use hotels more and
         drive less.
      4) Also the price of the conference does go up after July 13,
         1996 and that date is quickly approaching.

         For the most up to date and complete information,
         please see the URL hostsites

                http://www.first.org/workshops/1996/
                              - or -
                http://ciac.llnl.gov/firstconf/

The 8th FIRST Conference and Workshop on
Computer Security Incident Handling and Response

July 28-31, 1996
The Westin Hotel
Santa Clara, California
United States

___ _  _ ____    ____ ____ _  _ ____ ____ ____ ____ _  _ ____ ____
 |  |__| |___    |    |  | |\ | |___ |___ |__/ |___ |\ | |    |___
 |  |  | |___    |___ |__| | \| |    |___ |  \ |___ | \| |___ |___

The annual FIRST Conference and workshop event is the only event of its
kind.   This event is focused on the field of computer security and most
specifically incident handling and response.   Past conferences have been
held in Karlsruhe, Germany and Boston, Massachusetts, US.   Each of these
conferences were international in scope and attendance with presentations
on the latest in vulnerability analysis, incident response, vulnerability
prevention, and general computer security.  Additionally, these conferences
served as the foundation for the improvement of computer security worldwide
via sharing of goals, ideas, and information.

The 1996 8th Annual FIRST Conference promises to continue this ground
breaking work.  Occurring in the heart of the Silicon Valley, home of the
microprocessor and the heartbeat of computing, this year's conference will
continue to promote FIRST organization goals of worldwide coordination
and cooperation.

_ _ _ _  _ ____    _ ____    ____ _ ____ ____ ___ __.
| | | |__| |  |    | [__     |___ | |__/ [__   |   _]
|_|_| |  | |__|    | ___]    |    | |  \ ___]  |   .

The Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), is an
international organization that brings together a variety of computer
security incident response teams.  These teams include government
agencies, commercial companies, academic organizations and computer
vendors.

World-wide, FIRST aims to foster cooperation and coordination in
incident prevention, to prompt rapid reaction to incidents, and to
promote information sharing among members and the global community
at large.

Further information about the FIRST organization is available at
the FIRST WWW URL   http://www.first.org/first/

_ _ _ _  _ _   _    ____ ____ _  _ ____ __.
| | | |__|  \_/     |    |  | |\/| |___  _]
|_|_| |  |   |      |___ |__| |  | |___  .

Here are a few *extra* reasons to attend this year's FIRST Conference

       The week prior to the FIRST Conference, The 6th USENIX UNIX
       Security Symposium is being held in San Jose, CA.  This means
       that not only could you save money on airfare by staying over
       a weekend, but you could attend two great security conferences
       back to back.  <http://www.usenix.org/sec96.html>

       Meet other security professionals in the area of incident
       and response.

       Improve your security program with the ideas presented.

       Save time searching for tools and resources.

       Join in the sharing of a wide range of experience and knowledge.

       Be a part of the "United Nations" of computer security organizations.

       Bring your family and tour the Silicon Valley and San Francisco
       Bay Area.

____ ____ ____ _  _ ___  ____
|__| | __ |___ |\ | |  \ |__|
|  | |__] |___ | \| |__/ |  |

The following scheduled events are subject to change till the
time of the conference.  For the most up to date information
please refer to the conference URL referenced at the beginning
of this document.

July 28-31, 1996

Registration
       Sunday 7:30am to 6:00pm
       Monday 7:30am to 3:00pm

Tutorials
       Sunday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Sessions
       Tuesday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Workshops
       Wednesday 9:00am to 3:30pm

Birds of a Feather Sessions
       Monday 7:00pm to 9:00pm

Time       Sunday        Monday             Tuesday        Wednesday
           28-Jul        29-Jul             30-Jul         31-Jul
0730             C O N T I N E N T A L    B R E A K F A S T
0900
0900    Tutorial A       Opening            Session 1:     Workshop 1:
1030    Tutorial B       Session            Future of      Law Enforcement
                                            Incident       Panel
                                            Response
1030                    M O R N I N G       C O F F E E
1100
1100    Tutorial A       Team               Session 2:     Workshop 2:
1230    Tutorial B       Updates            Threat         Vendor Panel
                                            Research
1230                              L U N C H
1400
1400    Tutorial A       FIRST              Session 3:     Workshop 3:
1530    Tutorial C        |                 Secure            TBD
                        Annual              Communications
- ----------------------  General -------------------------------------------
1530    Afternoon         |                 Afternoon
1600    Refreshments    Meeting             Refreshments
1600    Tutorial A                          Session 4:     Closing
1730    Tutorial C                          Regional       Plenary
                                            Coordination
                                            Updates
1800                                                           |
1900                                                       Steering
- ---------------------------------------------------------      |    -------
1900      |              BOFS                   |              |
2100     Ice                               CONFERENCE      Committee
- ------- Breaker ----------------------       DINNER            |
2000      |              BOFS                   |           Meeting
2100      |                                     |              |

___ _  _ ___ ____ ____ _ ____ _    ____
 |  |  |  |  |  | |__/ | |__| |    [__
 |  |__|  |  |__| |  \ | |  | |___ ___]

Tutorials will only be held on Sunday, July 28th.
The cost of the tutorials is included with the conference fees.

**** Tutorial A - Incident Handling - Experience through Role-playing ****

     There are two tutorial A sessions. These are designed to be run
     contiguously. It is important that anyone intending to attend the
     afternoon session should also attend the morning session for maximum
     benefit.

     This tutorial is designed to provide practical experience to attendees
     in the day to day operation of an Incident Response Team (IRT). It is
     based upon real-world experience from two sides of the world, Australia
     and the United States, with the core of the material based upon lessons
     learned over more than a decade of combined incident handling experience.
     Included in the material will be information on what works and what
     doesn't, with reasons explaining why.

     The tutorial is divided into two main sessions: morning and afternoon.

     The morning session will concentrate on the interaction between the IRT
     and the local constituency. It will examine incident resolution, urgency
     prioritisation, resource allocation, and information release.

     The afternoon session will concentrate on the interaction between the
     IRT and the international community. It will examine the resolution of a
     major global incident covering timezone differences, language and culture
     differences, and global coordination.

     Each session will be conducted as a practical exercise where attendees
     will have the opportunity to contribute to the solution of the particular
     problem at hand. Time will be allocated to form groups and discuss
possible
     solutions and why some solutions are better than others.

     Attendees can be assured that the day will be filled with mystery,
     frustration, and the "unexpected", in much the same way that real incident
     handling situations will occur.

     Attendees will have direct participation in various incidents, and
     will play a large factor in the resolution of each incident.

     Presenters: Danny Smith (AUSCERT) and Moira West-Brown (CERT Coordination
     Center)

**** Tutorial B - What Incident Response Teams Should Know About Encryption
     and Authentication, Including PGP, PEM, and Key Management  ****

     This tutorial presents an overview of available encryption technology
     and discusses its possible uses by an incident response team. Topics
     covered include private/public key encryption fundamentals, overview
     of encryption tools and their availability, and applications of
     encryption technology. The information presented will be tailored to
     an incident response audience; in particular, the mathematics of
     encryption algorithms will not be covered. Rather, the tutorial will
     discuss how the technologies work and how to apply them in practice.

     Presenters: Peter Hammes (SAIC SERC), Kenneth van Wyk (SAIC SERC),
     and Patricia Zechman (DoD ASSIST)

**** Tutorial C - Building an Incident Response Team (IRT) ****

     This half-day tutorial will address some of the basic issues of
     establishing an incident response capability (IRC). Starting on
     a shoestring, protecting yourself from hackers, hiring the right
     people, are some of the topics that will be covered. Experienced
     incident response managers will be available to answer questions
     during an open forum.

     Presenter: Sandy Sparks (CIAC)

____ ____ ____ ____ _ ____ _  _ ____
[__  |___ [__  [__  | |  | |\ | [__
___] |___ ___] ___] | |__| | \| ___]

*** Opening Session ****

Speakers
Peter Neumann, SRI Internatioanl (Invited Speaker)

*** Team Updates ***

Abstract
As every year the FIRST conference is an excellent opportunity to meet
other team members and establish contacts and get first hand impressions
about the activities of other teams.

This session should facilitate this activity by providing a forum for
short presentations focusing on current activities and projects of
several teams.

Three different "groups" of teams are invited to present:

     older teams already recognized by the community will give an update
        on their activities and present new ideas developed through their work
     new teams, which joined FIRST since the last conference will present
        their constituency and current activities, to present themselves
     teams, which are up to joining FIRST in the immediate future will
        get the opportunity to let other teams know about them beforehand

By presenting experiences and lessons learned helpful input can be provided
to the participants.  The overall goal is to provide information to the
FIRST community to foster communication and cooperation.

Session 1: Future of Incident Response

1. Commercialization of Incident Response Services -
       Klaus-Peter Kossakowski
2. Future of Incident Response (panel) -
       Mike Higgins

Session 2: Threat Research

1. Critter Analysis Update -
       Joseph Alfano
2. Vulnerability/Advisory processes -
       Katherine Fithen
3. An Analysis of Intruder Personality Traits and Motives -
       Gene Schultz

Session 3: Secure Communications

1. The UKERNA Secure E-mail Project -
       Paul Leyland and Piete Brooks
2. Implementing Secure Communications using Secret Agent -
       Frank Husson
3. FIRST E-mail handling Procedures -
       Ken van Wyk

Session 4: Regional Coordination Updates

1. Incident Response Teams in Europe: status report -
       Don Stikvoort and Klaus-Peter Kossakowski
2. Experience in Establishing IRT in Korea -
       Chae-ho Lim
3. CERT Strategic Incident Response and Statistics Update -
       Katherine Fithen

_ _ _ ____ ____ _  _ ____ _  _ ____ ___  ____
|_|_| |__| |  \ | \_ ___] |  | |__| |    ___]

The workshops will be held on Wednesday, July 31, 1996.   The
workshops are included in the conference fee.

International Law Enforcement Panel

       What Incident Response Teams should know to protect themselves
       and their customers.  Coordination of international incidents
       with law enforcement.  What IRTs can and cannot do to assist
       clients when responding to incidents.  To include representatives
       from the Australian, Dutch, US Secret Service, Italian, Canadian,
       law enforcement agencies.

Vendor Panel

       How vendors could help Incident Response Teams.
       How Incident Response Teams can help Vendors.
       Inter-vendor cooperation.
       Ask your vendor your favorite question.
       Each vendor will be asked to make a small presentation
       along a set format.  SUN, HP, SGI, IBM, DEC, Microsoft,
       FreeBSD, Apple, AOL, Cisco and other firewall vendors.

_  _ ____ ___ ____ _       _ _  _ ____ ____
|__| |  |  |  |___ |       | |\ | |___ |  |
|  | |__|  |  |___ |___    | | \| |    |__| .

The 8th Annual FIRST Conference will be held at The Westin Hotel
in Santa Clara, California, U.S.A.   Santa Clara is in the
heart of the Northern California's Silicon Valley in the Greater
San Francisco Bay Area.  The bigger cities of San Francisco,
Oakland and San Jose are nearby.

Arrangements have been made for a special room rate for conference
attendees.   Please, note that there are also a limited number of US
Government rate rooms.

Each attendee is responsible for making their own hotel arrangements.
It is also *highly* recommended that hotel reservations be made well
in advance of the conference since room accommodations in the Bay Area
are very limited this time of year.  Hotel costs are not included in
the conference fee.

       single or double       $135 per night
       US Govt rate              $ 99 per night  LIMITED NUMBER

       These rates are good for Thursday night, July 25th
       through the night of August 2, 1996.

        The Westin Hotel
        5101 Great America Parkway
        Santa Clara, CA 95054
        +01 408 986-0700
        http://www.westin.com/listings/text/stclara.html

Meals - This year, as part of the conference fee, most meals will be
provided.   The meals provided are listed below.  Please, note that
any attendee who has a special need or requirement can contact the
registration coordinator and/or indicate their needs on the registration
form below.

For those evenings that a dinner meal is not provided, attendees
may partake of the restaurants within the hotel, or restaurants in
vicinity, or surrounding cities.

Sunday July 28,1996
- -------------------

Hours           Function
8am-9am         Continental breakfast
10:30am         Coffee refresh
12:30pm-2pm     Lunch
3:30pm          Afternoon Refreshments
6pm-11pm        Reception/No host bar

Monday July 29,1996
- -------------------

Hours           Function
8am-9am         Continental breakfast
10:30am         Coffee refresh
12:30pm-2pm     Lunch
3:30pm          Afternoon Refreshments
6pm-11pm        *Reception/No host bar

*Tentative, not firm in plan yet

Tuesday July 30,1996
- --------------------

Hours           Function
8am-9am         Continental breakfast
10:30am         Coffee refresh
12:30pm-2pm     Lunch
3:30pm          Afternoon Refreshments
7pm-11pm        Banquet Dinner

Wednesday July 31,1996
- ----------------------

Hours           Function
8am-9am         Continental breakfast
10:30am         Coffee refresh
12:30pm-2pm     Lunch
3:30pm          Afternoon Refreshments

___ ____ ____ _  _ ____ _       _ _  _ ____ ____
 |  |__/ |__| |  | |___ |       | |\ | |___ |  |
 |  |  \ |  |  \/  |___ |___    | | \| |    |__| .

The 8th Annual FIRST conference will be at The Westin Hotel in Santa
Clara, California, U.S.A.   Santa Clara is in the heart of the Silicon
Valley in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area with the nearby bigger
cities of San Francisco and San Jose.

It is recommend to fly into the San Jose International Airport(SJC)
if possible.

The Westin Hotel is located only about 10 minutes drive from San Jose
Airport(SJC).  Taxi from the San Jose Airport  will cost about $15US.
The Westin Hotel also provides a free shuttle service from the San Jose
Airport (SJC).   Please, contact The Westin Hotel at 408-986-0700
to arrange pickup when you arrive.

Some attendees may be limited to flights into the San Francisco
Airport(SFO).  The Westin Hotel is located about 45 minutes drive
from the San Francisco Airport (SFO).  Taxi and limousine service
from the San Francisco Airport (SFO) will cost about $50US.  If
arranged in advance, SFO shuttle services run from $21 to $50
depending on time of travel and type of service (single stop,
multiple stop, shared or private).  These are a few of the
services available.

             Airport Connection              +01 408-730-5555
             Bayporter Express               +01 415-467-1800
             Express Airport Shuttle         +01 408-378-6720
             Greyhound                       +01 415-558-6789
             SamTrans                        +01 800-660-4287
             Santa Cruz Airporter            +01 408-423-1214
             South & East Bay Shuttle        +01 408-559-9477
             Super Shuttle                   +01 415-558-8500
             VIP Airport Shuttle             +01 408-378-8847

For those attendees coming from the USENIX conference in downtown
San Jose, the SCCTA Light Rail runs from downtown San Jose to
the Great America stop right by the Westin Hotel.  More information
is available at the WWW URL
http://server.berkeley.edu/Transit/Carriers/SCCTA/LightRail.html

____ ____ ____ _ ____ ___ ____ ____ ___ _ ____ _  _
|__/ |___ | __ | [__   |  |__/ |__|  |  | |  | |\ |
|  \ |___ |__] | ___]  |  |  \ |  |  |  | |__| | \|

Registration for the 8th Annual FIRST Conference is possible via
postal service, e-mail, fax and phone.

The conference fee is $560 for early registration, and $660 for late
registration after July 13, 1996.  NOTE: If an attendee completes and
sends in a registration form before July 13, 1996 but does not pay the
registration fee until after July 13, 1996, the attendee will pay the
late registration fee of $660.

The conference fee does include some meals but not all meals.  Please
refer to the above meal information in the above Hotel Info section
for more information.  The conference fee does include all workshops
and tutorials.

Hotel and air fare are not included in the conference fee.

When an attendees registration *AND* registration fee is received,
it will be confirmed via email if possible.

A completed registration form may be sent in via email with payment
made via postal delivery.  However, only when the registration *AND*
registration fee is received is an attendee fully registered for the
conference.

Requests for cancellations or refunds must be submitted, in writing, to
FIRST Conference (see postal address and fax below) by July 12, 1996.

- --REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION
FORM--

      Only when a completed registration form *AND* registration fee
              have been receive, is a registration complete.

Full Name:      ________________________________________________

Position/title: ________________________________________________

Company:        ________________________________________________

Mailing address:________________________________________________

Mailing address:________________________________________________

Mailing address:________________________________________________

City:           ________________________________________________

State:          ________________________________________________

Zip:            ________________________________________________

Country:        ________________________________________________

Telephone:      ________________________________________________

Fax:            ________________________________________________

Email:          ________________________________________________

I am a FIRST member: yes___ no____

I will be attending:

   Tutorial A - Incident Response Team Role Playing     yes___ no____

   Tutorial B - Encryption and Incident Response Teams  yes___ no____

   Tutorial C - Building a Incident Response Team       yes___ no____

I prefer vegetarian meals:  yes___ no____

Any other special needs:________________________________________________

Conference Fees           Before          After
  (includes the           July 13         July 13
   above indicated
   meals, all              $ 560US        $ 660US
   tutorials and
   all workshops)

Total enclosed:    _______________________

Check Enclosed (payable to FIRST or FIRST Conference)

Charge my credit card:    MasterCard ___  VISA ___

Credit Card Number:     _____________________________

Expires (month/year):   _____________________________

Signature:              _____________________________

Return this form, with check or credit card information to

Via postal mail:  FIRST Conference
                  c/o Conference Mgmt Services
                  407 Chester Street
                  Menlo Park, CA   94025  U.S.A.

Via fax:          +01 415-324-3150
Via email:        merryb@vhdl.org
Via phone:        +01 415-329-0579

- --REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION FORM--REGISTRATION
FORM--

_  _ ____ ____ ___     _  _ ____ ____ ____    _ _  _ ____ ____ __.
|\ | |___ |___ |  \    |\/| |  | |__/ |___    | |\ | |___ |  |  _]
| \| |___ |___ |__/    |  | |__| |  \ |___    | | \| |    |__|  .

For the most up to date information, please refer to the FIRST conference
WWW page URL referenced at the top of this document.

The  FIRST Conference, first.org, Inc., and Conference Management Services
want this conference event to be a rewarding event for all attendees.   The
FIRST Conference, first.org, Inc., and Conference Management Services wish
to cooperate fully with any attendee who has a special need(s) or
requirement(s) or request(s).  For information or assistance with
disability or special needs/services, please contact us via email,
fax, telephone or email.

Via postal mail:  FIRST Conference
                  c/o Conference Mgmt Services
                  407 Chester Street
                  Menlo Park, CA   94025  U.S.A.

Via fax:          +01 415-324-3150
Via email:        merryb@vhdl.org
Via phone:        +01 415-329-0579

____ ____ ____ ____
|__| |__/ |___ |__|
|  | |  \ |___ |  |
_ _  _ ___ ____ ____ ____ ____ ___ ____
| |\ |  |  |___ |__/ |___ [__   |  [__
| | \|  |  |___ |  \ |___ ___]  |  ___]

The State of California and the San Francisco Bay Area have a great
deal of activities and sights to offer the visitor.   The following
WWW URLs are provided to those that are interested in the area and
the multitude of things to see and experience.

San Francisco Bay Area and Beyond
      http://www.hyperion.com/ba/sfbay.html

<< Santa Clara >>

Santa Clara
       http://www.xpand.com/Santa_Clara/index.html
Great America Theme Park
       http://www.rollercoaster.com/pga1/pga/
Intel Museum
        http://www.intel.com/intel/intelis/museum/
Frys
       http://frys.fry-s.com/

<< San Jose >>

Winchester Mystery House
       http://www.netview.com/svg/tourist/winchest/
Egyptian Museum
       http://artdirect.com/california/san.francisco/arts.univ/santa.clara/egypt
The Tech Museum of Innovation
       http://www.thetech.org/
San Jose Museums
       http://artdirect.com/california/san.francisco/museums/sbay/homepage

<<Monterey>>

Monterey Bay Aquarium
      http://sapphire.cse.ucsc.edu:80/mb/mba/
      http://www.usw.nps.navy.mil/~millercw/aq/
Access Monterey Peninsula
       http://www.campgrounds.com/ctpa/ca/regions/cc/cceditor.htm

<< Mountain View >>

Magic Edge
       http://www.cygnus.com/misc/magicedge.html
NASA AMES
       http://www.arc.nasa.gov/amesinfo/visitors_center.html

<<San Francisco>>

49 Mile Scenic Drive
      http://www.geninc.com/geni/USA/CA/San_Francisco/travel/49mile.html
Alcatraz
      http://www.nps.gov/alcatraz/index.html
Exploratorium
      http://www.exploratorium.edu/
Golden Gate Bridge and National Recreation Area
      http://www.nps.gov/parklists/index/goga.html
Golden Gate Park
      http://www.geninc.com/geni/USA/CA/San_Francisco/travel/ggp.html
Water's Edge