List:       bugtraq
Subject:    GMT and time conversion in Unix SetUID environments
From:       "Dr. Frederick B. Cohen" <fc () all ! net>
Date:       1995-06-07 11:10:36

Not certain this is a bug, but it sure looks like one.

A program running in the normal Unix file system uses files and
directories to determine the proper time zone for the time of day.  But
when you create a chroot environment, these files don't exist anymore
and, at least on my Sun4, the time reflects GMT.  Apparently, there is
no way to get the real local time without duplicating appropriate files
in the chroot area - or am I missing a trivial fix?

--
\Management  /\/| 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236