List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Denial of Service Vulnerability in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Devices
From:       Niels Bakker <niels-bugtraq () bakker ! net>
Date:       2004-05-17 16:46:23

* jpo@pobox.com (Jason Ostrom) [Mon 17 May 2004, 18:28 CEST]:
> I wasn't there, but I know the Deauth Flood attack is a very effective
> attack that most 802.11b networks are vulnerable to.

Janus Wireless, while not released publicly yet, also supports this:

   http://peertech.org/janus/
   http://peertech.org/janus/attacks.html

(this was formerly hosted on cubicmetercrystal.com.)

Tools like this should be part of any conference visitor's Unilateral
Quality-of-Service Toolkit, along with the DHCP server pool replenisher
and ICMP Source Quench generator.

> I saw this attack mentioned in at least one book, but I don't know why
> it wasn't released as a vulnerability.  It is similar to the released
> vulnerability, but involves spoofed frames instead of the physical layer.

How does this "release as a vulnerability" work?  Or are you wondering
why nobody up till now put out a sexed-up press release stating the obvious?

	-- Niels.

--
Today's subliminal thought is: