List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Re: Windows XP explorer.exe heap overflow.
From:       Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx ! net>
Date:       2004-02-26 18:41:11

> > To exploit this flaw (in explorer), simply place a malformed (invalid
> > "size" field) .emf file in any directory, open explorer to that path,
> > and view as Thumbnails. Bang. In it's simplest form it's a DOS - it
> > affects all explorer windows, including File Open dialogs for many
> > programs.

The february 04 issue of MaximumPC lists the following registry key
to tweak to help speed up your system. Seems to me this might have
other benefits besides speed. :-)

Remove Image Preview by deleting this key:

HKEY_Classes_Root\SystemFileAssociations\Image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview

cheers,
--dr

--
Top security experts.  Cutting edge tools, techniques and information.
Vancouver, Canada	April 21-23 2004  http://cansecwest.com