List:       bugtraq
Subject:    Aspupload installs exploitable scripts
From:       <brett () softwarecreations ! co ! nz>
Date:       2001-11-30 4:52:41

Title:  ASPUPLOAD Installs Exploitable Scripts By
	http://www.aspupload.com/

Author: Brett Moore
	brett@softwarecreations.co.nz

Systems Affected:
	Version 2.1 On Windows
	Version 3.0 Was Not Available For Testing

Release Date:	30/11/2001
Vendor Contacted:  31/10/2001
Vendor Responded:31/10/2001

The problem:
	Sample scripts are installed by default upon
an installation of Aspupload.
	The sample folder is then shared for web
access.
	One of these scripts demonstrates the
capabilities to upload and rename a file.
	The form used in this demonstration has a
hidden field that holds the name of the
	the new uploaded file.
	The script is hard coded to upload to
c:\upload but because there is no checking
	for ../ in the file save code we can traverse
outside this folder and place the
	file anywhere on the drive.
	This is limited to folders on c:\ in the case
of this sample file.
	Another script allows directory browsing
and file downloading.

Risk:
	Attackers can easily browse and download
any file on the system with the rights
	of the web server.
	Attackers can upload files to the server and
run them from executable web folders.

Details:
	Download:
	http://www.aspupload.com
	Samples Installed To: 	C:\Program
Files\Persits Software\AspUpload\Samples

	Vulnerable Script: 	UploadScript11.asp
	Vulnerable Form:	Test11.asp

	Vulnerable Code:
		Path = "c:\upload\" & Upload.Form
("Filename")
		File.SaveAs Path

	Vulnerable Script:	DirectoryListing.asp

Vendor Replied:
	"Most potentially dangerous features can be
disabled by the system admin via
	registry settings. It is described in the
manual."

Quick Fix:
	Sample scripts should never be installed on
a live server. Unfortunately there is
	no option when installing aspupload. The
sample files should be removed.

Recommendation:
	In the help file it does indeed have registry
settings for restricting uploads.
	I tested these and it may depend on the
individual setup as to wether this is
	still exploitable.
	If using aspupload in scripts on your server
then we recommend reviewing these
	registry settings and testing for this bug.
	You should ensure that the scripts have
adequate checking for exploits of this type.

Disclaimer:
	It wasn't me