List:       btpd-users
Subject:    Non ASCII standard characters
From:       fabio.utili () gmail ! com (Fabio Utili)
Date:       2007-11-03 19:23:35

>  >>>  file I have to download.
>  >
>>  I'm not sure, but I think it is HFS+ (journaled): I have a Mac with
>>  OSX 10.4.10 (the file system is the standard mac one; it is not case
>  > sensitive)
>
>The file names in torrent files are supposed to be UTF8 encoded, but
>my guess is this isn't so in your case. If the file system enforces
>a certain encoding this may cause the problem. For some other file
>systems this isn't a problem because they allow any character except
>the directory separator and 0 byte in filenames.
>
>btpd just uses the bytes of the filenames as they come in the torrent
>file, which may cause filenames to look funny if you are displaying
>them in another encoding. I use iso8859-1 for instance. A more friendly
>way perhaps, would be to convert the filenames to an encoding of the
>users choice. This presents some problems, since not all encodings
>can represent the same characters as utf8 and since bad torrent files
>may contain filenames that are not utf8 encoded.
>
>Regards,
>         -Richard

Yes, I think you are right.

I can only say that, as I have told, I'm
downloading the same torrent with another program
(Transmission) using the same port, and the names
are correctly saved to my HD:

1) there are other file with non ASCII standard
characters, but they are not indicated in the log
of BTPD (they come after the first occurence)
>Francesco De Gregori24:07 - Chiss? dove sei.mp3eed6[...]
>pathl23:1987 - Terra di nessuno18:06 - Mim? sar?.mp3eed6[...]

2) I've opened the torrent with a word processor
in UTF8 and are stated this mis-encoding: in that
torrent is not used UTF8, but win-ascii pre-UTF
(perhaps Transmission corrects that encoding to
mac-ascii or UTF8)

3) exactly I don't know the behavior of my system
in this case: probably, without further
statements or controls by the program itself, it
requires the names to be in UTF8, and they are not

4) if this is the problem, probably it will
always decrease in its appearence, since the use
more and more wide of UTF8 in all file-system

Thanks for your answer and courtesy.
--

Saluti, Fabio.

===>e-mail: [fabio.utili at gmail.com]