List:       btpd-users
Subject:    Seemingly random crashes in libcurl
From:       rnyberg () murmeldjur ! se (Richard Nyberg)
Date:       2007-01-17 10:43:31

At Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:12:36 -0500,
Arnaud Bergeron wrote:

> For about a month I have been experiencing crashes from btpd.  When I
> look at the core file in gdb, the reason is always a segmentation
> fault and always in Curl_splay (part of libcurl).
>
> The backtrace looks like this:
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0b2811ea in Curl_splay () from /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.3.4
> #1  0x0b281345 in Curl_splaygetbest () from /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.3.4
> #2  0x0b27bf4e in curl_multi_perform () from /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.3.4
> #3  0x1c0070b3 in http_td ()
> #4  0x026eef4b in _thread_start ()
>     at /usr/src/lib/libpthread/uthread/uthread_create.c:244
> #5  0x0000001f in ?? ()
> #6  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>
> I have a hunch it may be a problem with the libcurl version used by
> the OpenBSD ports, but otherwise, I just find this annoying.

Looks like some corruption in the splay tree curl uses for timers. It
could very well be a problem in curl. btpd's interaction with curl is
pretty simple.

> Anyway, if you want me to try anything, just ask.  I am also ready to
> test patches.

Thanks, but there's no need. The problem has already been solved :)
I never liked having to use curl anyway and the next version of btpd
will use its own http client.

Regards,
        -Richard