List:       bsf-user
Subject:    RE: Evaluate a javascript string. Not a file.
From:       Jon Schuster <jons () wrq ! com>
Date:       2004-07-13 15:59:36

Hi Klaas,

BSFManager.eval (or BSFEngine.eval) should be the right method to use to
evaluate one or more JavaScript statements. Although the eval method takes
the name of a source as the first argument, the actual script statements are
passed as the last argument.

Although I haven't used eval to evaluate statements entered in a text field,
I've essentially been doing the equivalent operation by reading in the
contents of a file from disk, making it into a string, then passing the
string to the eval method as the last argument. I pass 0,0 as the line and
column numbers. The sequence looks something like this:

	BSFManager mgr = new BSFManager();
	mgr.eval( "javascript", scriptname == null ? "internal" :
scriptname, 0,0, statements );

--Jon